Built in the Tudor Gothic style, this impressive castellated stone structure enjoys glimpses out across the Firth of Forth. The Town Hall was constructed in 1826, replacing an earlier medieval building which was hit and seriously damaged by lightning. Part of the original building is thought to date back to the 12th century. Latterly it was used to provide the debating chamber, offices and prison cells for the Burgh Council. The new building was designed by the architect Thomas Hamilton (1784 - 1858) and was used for Council functions for almost 150 years but fell into disrepair in the 1980s. It was restored by Fife Historic Buildings Trust in 2009.
The apartment is owned by Fife Historic Buildings Trust, a local Building Preservation Trust. It is a company limited by guarantee and has charitable status. It was formed in 1997 primarily for the purpose of saving and restoring historic buildings in Fife which are at risk. We are very proud of our beautiful historic building and would love to welcome you here.
Kinghorn is a small town situated on the east coast in the Kingdom of Fife. The town benefits from a lovely quiet, sheltered beach only a few minutes’ walk from the apartment. At the other end of the town is Pettycur Bay - a long, wide stretch of golden sand which is excellent for walks and outdoor activities. Within the town there are several shops on the high street, which is again just a few minutes away. These include a baker, butcher, a Co-op supermarket, post office and chemist.
There are also a number of pubs, cafes and restaurants. Kinghorn has one of Scotland's oldest golf courses founded in 1887 with 18 holes and beautiful views of the Firth of Forth.
Accommodation is on the 1st and 2nd floors.
Please note, there is no lift access.
There's a magnificent living/dining area on the 1st floor with floor-to-ceiling windows and 2 stone fireplaces, one with a gas-fired stove. A perfect space for the whole group to meet and relax. The carved, wooden dining table seats 6 and there are 2 large comfy sofas facing a smart TV. Off this huge room is a well-equipped kitchen.
Up the next set of stairs are the bedrooms.
Bedroom 1 is truly unique with its wooden sleigh bed, exposed wooden beams and stonework, 'port hole' windows and the original bell housing.
Bedroom 2 is a twin room with stone fireplace.
Bedroom 3 is a double room with a king bed. The en-suite bathroom has WC, sink and rain shower.
The main bathroom has a WC, sink and bath with shower over the bath. Essential toiletries are provided.
Guests have exclusive use of a private walled garden with a table and chairs. Access to the garden is via a gate at the side of the property. There is also a BBQ for guests use. (Charcoal not included.)
Cot and high chair can be provided on request.
This is a listed building so we can't allow pets or smoking.
For more information, prices and booking, go to our website: fifehistoricbuildings.org.uk